Job ID: 216190451
North American Coal operates 10 surface coal mines and 15 limestone quarries, delivering more than 30 million tons of coal and 30 million cubic yards of limestone in 2017. We operate more draglines than anyone else in the U.S. and control 161,000 surface acres, 1.9 billion tons of coal and 24,000 acres of oil and gas reserves.
Job Title: Engineering Manager Location: Bisti Fuels – Navajo Mine
Reports to: President Department: Engineering
The Engineering Manager position is responsible providing leadership and support to the Engineering Department including leading, planning, coordinating and supervising the engineering activities at the mine site. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing various engineering projects, processes, budgets and timelines, and for making any necessary adjustments in order to ensure successful completion. This position must plan and lead activities that will produce cost savings through enhanced mine plan design, set and monitor productivity and performance goals, and work closely with customers in the area of mine engineering.
• Provide leadership and technical guidance to operations teams and management to achieve business goals and objectives related to mine engineering.
• Be responsible for mentoring and providing support to all managers and supervisors in the areas of mine engineering.
• Direct and manage engineering staff; check and confirm the accuracy of work performed and the methods used.
• Recruit employees; assign, direct and evaluate their work, and oversee the development and maintenance of staff competence.
• Manage projects and implement sustainable solutions that are completed within designated deadlines.
• Develop engineering studies to include Life-of-Mine plans, annual operating budgets, cost projections and engineering reports; support justifications for alternate methods to reduce costs.
• Prepare scopes of work to meet the requirements and deadlines of proposed projects.
• Assist environmental department with preparation and submittal of permits and permit revisions.
• Assist with overseeing production and maintenance activities throughout the mine.
• Prepare and deliver various engineering-related presentations, both internally and externally.
• Coordinate with corporate relatives for engineering and costing.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• 15 years of mining experience as an engineer and at least five years in management.
• Proven leadership and management skills; must show evidence of increasing responsibility with years of experience.
• Organizational competencies and project management skills to keep projects, processes and the entire engineering team on track.
• Demonstrated excellent analytical and problem solving skills; ability to see beyond the presenting issue through clear, concise, structured thinking.
• Effective communication (verbal, written, presentation) skills.
• Ability to work individually or as part of a team.
• Advanced knowledge of Vulcan, Autocad and Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to work in an outdoor environment (25%) and work extended hours in critical conditions.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
• Must have at least 15 years of mining experience preferably in coal and at least five years of experience as an Engineering Manager. Experience must include mine operations, mine design and implementation of new mining technologies.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, at least three professional references, supporting documents (copies of degrees, certifications, etc.) and proof of Navajo Nation membership (if applicable). Closing date to apply is January 25, 2019.
You must meet the specific minimum requirements listed above to be considered a qualified applicant.
This Position is subject to the preference requirements in the Navajo Preference in Employment Act,
15 N.N.C. § 601 et seq.
North American Coal